Monday, November 23, 2009

Pictures and cold

Here are some new pictures to give you an idea of what early winter looks like in The Village. There's not much snow yet, maybe 3-6 inches (it piles and drifts because of the wind). Last year they got about 20 feet - most of it after the new year. I'm just hoping that whenever it comes this year it doesn't mess with our December travel plans.

Anyway - it doesn't look too wintry yet, I think because you can still see tundra grass sticking up through the snow. However, though it may be early in the season, it is already by far the coldest weather I've ever experienced. Today coming up to school the wind was blowing like crazy, for a wind chill of -25. We really couldn't look straight ahead but had to keep our eyes down (tomorrow we'll remember our goggles), and the wind almost blew me over once or twice. B actually did take a spill when he accidentally stepped off the boardwalk and into a snowdrift that was deeper than he expected (in his defense, he was wearing his glasses which immediately frosted over so he really couldn't see anything).

The good news is, so far it seems we're well-prepared as far as gear goes. The skin around my eyes was my only exposed part this morning, and the only part of me that felt cold. So I'm happy for that and hoping my jacket, boots, snow pants and everything else continue to keep me warm as the weather gets colder.

No comments:

Post a Comment