Monday, February 15, 2010

More basketball

We traveled to another village this weekend, here's how it went:

10:00 The secretary comes into my classroom and tells me, "Your plane will be here in about an hour and a half."

10:20 She returns to my room to tell me, "Your plane will be here in 10 minutes." OK then. Hustle, get all my gear on, make sure all my sub plans are set (this time I was much better prepared and had plans for Friday and Monday ready to go), and meet up with E and the kids by the school door. G, our custodian, and OFL drove us to the airport.

10:40 Takeoff. "Can we do roller coaster?" "No."
11:10 Land.

12:30 Eat lunch.
1:00 Walk to store. Load up on pop and candy.

4:00 First game. We lost.
6:00 Second game. We lost again.
10:00 Third game. Yet another loss.

12:00 Force girls to go to bed. As I'm laying down to sleep, hear the crack/hiss of a can of pop opening. "Girls: NO POP. Go to sleep."

8:36am Wake up wondering what time it is...oh, man. Game at 9:00am. Wake up kids FAST, eat a quick breakfast, jerseys on. Lost our last game.

12:30 Call the airline, find out our whole island's on weather hold. Spend the next 4 hours calling and calling, but the fog wasn't clearing, and by 5:00 we knew we weren't getting out that day.

5:00 The host village coach brought his team back, and we mixed up and played again. E coached one team, I took the other, and the host coach kept score. My team lost but only by a point.

7:00 The cook came back to make us dinner, then we took another walk to the store for yet more pop and candy.

8:30 The host coach stopped by to make sure we'd eaten, and mentioned there was some Eskimo dance happening at the Bingo hall. We walked over to watch for a while.

10:00 We start watching the movie "Jack" which holds the kids' attention for about 15 minutes, after which all but 1 return to the gym.

10:30 Roller skating party in the gym, complete with terrible pop music blasting out of the gym speakers. When E discovered a cache of roller skates in the ball room off the gym, he was pretty much set on a roller skating party. The kids had fun and didn't even fall that much.

11:30 4 on 4 barefoot basketball with E and I playing. Super sweaty afterward.

12:30 Bedtime

9:00am Wakeup, not rested. Two nights on the floor is a little too much for me now that I'm getting up there in years.

I'll spare you the excruciating boredom of the next several hours, but we finally flew out around 2:30. Our home village never looked so good.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sara,
    I read it! Sorry I put it off!

    love,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete