Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Try

'Try' is a word that gets used in a unique way by the students. I don't know what they think it means. Maybe you can figure it out from these examples:

"Try look" - what is said when they want you to look at something
"Try smile" - what is said when they want you to smile
"Try sit" - what is said when they want you to sit down
"Try read it" - what is said when they want you to read something
"Try don't drink your tea" - what is said when they wanted S to not drink her morning tea just to see what would happen
"Try come" - what is said when they want you to come to them

That last one is the best. It gets used when you're busy helping one student and the other student gets impatient so he asks you to "try come". I want to say, "It's not for lack of effort that I haven't come to you yet."

I know what they're trying to say, but I don't know what you could substitute for 'try' in these sentences.

Note: This is not just used in a student-teacher situation. Student-student usage is common too.

3 comments:

  1. I think it means please. Switch out "try" for "please" in these sentences and you have some very polite children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's one from tonight: "Try excuse" for "excuse me".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually it's more "Try scuse"

    And how about "whatever". As in "Hey, who's going to whatever the play."

    ReplyDelete