Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Looking forward

Unlike in the other school districts I've worked in, the winter break really is the half way mark for the school year. I have to say that I'm looking forward to the two weeks off more than I have in a long time. I'm really psyched to go some place that is not The Village or Athol and I'm really looking forward to new things. I know "things" is a really vague term but it's accurate nonetheless. There is not much 'new' here on a daily basis. It's the same people and the same place and all of the same objects. This is probably why I've taken to listening to a ton of podcasts and doing a lot of Internet reading - at least I can get some new information and ideas. I'm really looking forward to seeing people I don't know at all, eating food I haven't had in months, seeing unfamiliar landscapes or really anything at all.
So I can't wait to be in the Anchorage airport and then the Minneapolis airport. That sounds amazing to me. Lots of people and places to go! I nearly wrote that "I am built for cities" but that's not the whole story (though most likely that's a part of it). You have to hunker down in Alaska during the winter or you have to be psyched about being cold. Really, really cold. We've opted for hunkering. I'll be very happy to un-hunker for a bit while on vacation.

3 comments:

  1. Are you guys coming to Minneapolis? Let me know and I will roll out the welcome wagons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you could take up knitting or quilting. Or planning your next garden. Maybe you should read (or listen to) little house on the prairie. You'd probably have a lot to relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara we are going to have such fun when you're home. Shopping, gossiping, drinking, all those bad habits that you don't have there. Hang in there I'm counting the days.

    ReplyDelete